Your college education is the most important investment you can make in your future. Our goal is to make the Birmingham-Southern experience available to everyone. With our tuition reset, BSC may be more within reach than you think.
Why is this so important to us? Because we know what you'll learn here is priceless, and the value you'll get from a BSC education will pay off in the long run. That's why BSC has been listed a "Best Buy" by the Fiske Guide to Colleges and is ranked among the top 100 "Best Values in Liberal Arts Colleges" by Kiplinger's Personal Finance.
"The money we spent on our son's BSC education is the best investment we have ever made. We are grateful to the college for his experience." Britt and Donna Rice, parents of David Rice '04, a pulmonary/critical care doctor at the Medical University of South Carolina.
Cost of Attendance
The annual cost to attend Birmingham-Southern College includes tuition, fees, housing, and dining. Your total cost may vary depending on your residential and meal plan. For the upcoming academic year, the total estimated costs are:
Direct Costs 2018-19 Tuition $16,353 Mandatory Fees $1,297 Room $6,950 Meals $5,350 Total $29,950 Indirect Costs Books & Supplies $1,260 Transportation $1,500 Personal $1,270 Total $4,030 Total Cost of Attendance $33,980
Tuition Payment Plan
To make it easier to manage your education expenses, BSC offers an interest-free monthly payment option. You can learn more through our Student Accounts office.
Net Price Calculator
This online tool in the tab below will help you estimate the amount of aid you may be eligible for and the amount you may be expected to pay.
Net Price Calculator
Financial Aid Staff
We know that planning for paying for college can be intimidating, and we're here to answer all your questions, whether about finding scholarships, using your 529 plan, or setting up a payment plan. Please don't hesitate to contact us! If you have questions on paying your bills or setting up a payment plan, we may also connect you with our Student Accounts Office.
Melissa Burgett, Director of Financial Aid
Melissa graduated from the University of North Alabama with a Bachelors' of Science in Computer Science (1997) and an MBA with an emphasis in Information Systems (2005). She served as the Coordinator of Financial Aid at UNA for over four years and as the Manager of Loan Processing & Business Process Analysis at The University of Alabama for over three years before coming to Birmingham Southern as an Assistant Director of Financial Planning."
Jason Buha, Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Jason came to BSC as the head men's golf coach, serving in that role from 2009-2013; he joined the Financial Planning staff in 2011 and was promoted to his current position in 2013. Before coming to BSC, he played professional golf on the PGA Tour (in 2000 and 2003) and the Web.com tour (in 2001-2002 and 2004-2006). He graduated from Duke University in 1997 with a degree in economics. "I enjoy the opportunity to assist students and parents with planning for their higher education goals every day," he says.
Debra Talley, Financial Aid Coordinator
Debra graduated from the University of Alabama at Birmingham with a Bachelor of Arts in English (1985) and a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership (1999). She served for over 30 years at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in various positions within the Financial Aid Office. She retired from UAB as the Associate Director of Student Financial Aid in December 2014. In August 2015, she joined the Birmingham-Southern staff as Coordinator of Financial Planning.
The staff lives by the Statement of Ethical Principles developed by the National Association of Student Financial Aid Association (NASFAA). Our goal is to help students achieve their educational potential by providing appropriate financial resources.
Principles of Excellence
Birmingham-Southern is proud to be a participating institution in the Principles of Excellence as provided by Executive Order 13607 to ensure that student Veterans, Servicemembers, and family members have information, support, and protections while using Federal Education Benefits.
More than 6,000 educational institutions have agreed to the "Principles of Excellence," which offer guidelines that promote transparency and student success by:
- Providing students with a personalized information covering the total cost of their education program. Prior to enrollment, prospective students may contact the Office of Financial Planning to receive information concerning the cost of the educational program including tuition and fees, the amount of that cost that will be covered by Federal education benefits, the type and amount of financial aid they may qualify for, and other information as mandated by the Principles of Excellence to facilitate comparison of aid packages.
- Providing educational plans for all military and Veteran education beneficiaries. The Office of Financial Planning is committed to informing students of the availability of Federal financial aid and alerting students of their potential eligibility before arranging private student loans or alternative financing programs.
- Accommodating Service members and Reservists absent due to service requirements.
- Designating a point of contact to provide academic and financial advice. Birmingham-Southern College is committed to providing all students with sound advisement throughout their student career. Along with a personal Academic Advisor selected from the BSC Faculty, the Degree Audit Specialist in the Office of Academic Records provides personalized feedback and guidance to students for completing their academic goals.
In addition, the institution affirms its commitment to delivering an exceptional educational experience by:
- Refraining from fraudulent and aggressive recruiting techniques and misrepresentations.
- Ensuring accreditation of all new programs prior to enrolling students.
- Aligning institutional refund policies with those under Title IV, which governs the administration of federal student financial aid programs.
For more information on the Principles of Excellence, please visit www.gibill.va.gov.
Are you ready to take the first step toward your future? The first move is to apply if you haven't yet! Our team of financial planning professionals is here to work with you.
Office of Financial Aid
900 Arkadelphia Road
Birmingham, AL 35254
Fax: (205) 226-3082