Top Nav Top Nav Footer Nav
Back toTop

Housing Services

Housing Services


    Maintenance and Repairs

    Maintenance Requests can be submitted online at here for any issues students may have in their residence hall or apartment, including issues with the bedroom room, bathroom, laundry room, or common areas. Please make a request as soon as you become aware of the situation - waiting may cause more problems and more inconvenience down the road.

    To submit a regular maintenance request:

    1. Visit to begin.
    2. Enter the required information, including your name, BSC email address, and residence hall information.
    3. Select the issue that most appropriately fits your concern. If none of those listed fit, select 'Other.'
    4. Describe your concern in as much detail as possible. Simply saying "the AC doesn't work" does not provide enough information. Instead, tell us "the AC isn't working. When we turn it on, there is no air coming out of the vents and it isn't making any noise." The more details you can provide the better. Details allow the Operations staff to arrive equipped to work on your problem.

    Emergency Maintenance requests are defined as issues that pose an immediate threat to life, limb, or property. Examples would be electrical wires hanging from a light fixture, water overflowing from a toilet or leaking from the ceiling, or air conditioning/heating problems during extreme temperature fluctuations. If an emergency occurs during regular business hours, contact the Office of Residence Life as soon as you become aware of the situation. If an emergency occurs after 4:30pm on a weekday or anytime during the weekend, contact Campus Police to report the problem.

    Please only contact Campus Police during an after-hours emergency situation.



    Washers and dryers are located on the ground floor of each residence hall, in each sorority townhouse and fraternity house, and in each individual Hilltop Village Apartment. Residents are not charged for laundry and simply have to supply the soap!

    Our state-of-the-art machines are wired to allow students to see when a machine is available, determine peak and off-peak times, and can also send you a text or email when your load is done! To check the status of our machines right now, click here!


    Break Housing

    Break housing is a service that is available to residents meeting the specific criteria during the times when the residence halls are closed, such as Christmas, and Spring Breaks. Each student who will need break housing during those breaks must come into the Office of Residence Life to apply.

    Students who qualify for Break Housing:

    1. International students;
    2. Students from outside the Southeastern U.S. who are unable to go home.
    3. Students who live outside a 45 mile radius of Birmingham, AL who have jobs requiring them to stay in Birmingham. A letter from the student's employer on company letterhead must be attached to the Break Housing application.
    4. Student athletes who have games during the brea

    Campus Safety

    Campus safety is of the utmost importance at Birmingham-Southern College and is why we are consistently ranked among the nation's safest college campuses! BSC employs an 18-person force to ensure the safety and security of our community. Operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, Campus Police is ready to assist students, faculty, and staff with car trouble, escorts to or from buildings late at night, or help feeding your goldfish over breaks. For more information on campus safety and the BSC Campus Police, click here.

    All residence halls are locked 24 hours a day and are equipped with combination door locks; these combinations change monthly and are only provided to residents of that residence hall. Campus Police routinely patrol the residential buildings.


    Room Décor

    BSC partners with Birmingham-based Dorm Décor to provide students with exceptional quality and customizable residence hall room decorations and furnishings. From over the bed cubbies, monogrammed headboards, bed skirts, bedding, rugs, and more, Dorm Décor has everything a student needs to personalize their new home away from home. For more information and to start decorating your room, visit Dorm Décor 's website!


    Renter's Insurance

    On college campuses, backpacks are often filled with thousands of dollars of electronics and books, and student bicycles and other valuables are often targets for criminals. While theft is certainly uncommon on Birmingham-Southern College's campus, we encourage all students and families to be prepared and use sound judgment when protecting valuables. To assist in this process, Birmingham-Southern College has partnered with GradGuard, a leader in the field to provide residential students a low-cost solution to Renter's Insurance. Birmingham-Southern College does not receive compensation as part of this offering to keep premium and deductible levels as low as possible for students. As indicated in the Housing Agreement signed annually by each residential student, Birmingham-Southern College assumes no responsibility and provides no financial protection for student’s personal property.

    GradGuard College Renter’s Insurance is an exclusive plan, specifically designed for students. For approximately $.50 per day, the plan includes the following features:

    • Theft & Fire Protection for your laptop, bicycle, cell phone, or other valuable items
    • Homeowners Insurance Alternative means no credit checks and a lower deductible
    • Worldwide Coverage means your belongings are covered anywhere in the world, even if you are studying abroad or out of the country during Exploration Term
    • Liability Protection to cover you if you accidentally damage the residence hall or apartment
    • Replacement Costs to replace your old property if it is stolen
    • Preferred Rates and more!

    For more information on GradGuad Renter's Insurance, please click here. All residential students must accept or decline renter's insurance as part of the housing application process.