Top Nav Top Nav Footer Nav
Back toTop




    Residential Accommodations

    Residential Accommodations are available to students who have documented disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

    Documentation will be required in order to fairly consider Residential Accommodation requests for disabilities. All requests are considered on a case by case basis by the Office of Residence Life and Coordinator of Academic Accessibility Services in consultation with the Director of Counseling and Health Services, the Assistant Director of Health Services, and the Admissions Counselor Liaison for Student Development.

    For more information, contact the Office of Accessibility.

    Moving to the Hilltop

    Because community is key at Birmingham-Southern, we require all students to live on campus for their first two years. It's a great way to be immersed in the 'Southern experience, and most students on campus stay all four years because they enjoy it! Our goal in Residence Life is to ensure a safe, comfortable living experience that enhances student scholarship and social engagement.

    We know you'll have a lot of questions about how this all works. We'll try to answer as many as we can here, but don't hesitate to ask us if you need anything.

    Things To Bring

    As you plan your journey to your new Hilltop home, remember that we supply your bed frame, mattress, chest of drawers, wardrobe, desk, and desk chair. As you pack, remember to throw these things in the car!

    • Alarm Clock
    • Blankets
    • Cleaning Supplies
    • Clothes Hangers
    • Computer/Laptop
    • Curtains with Tension Rod (Blinds are provided)
    • Fan
    • First Aid Kit
    • Flashlight
    • Trash Bags
    • Laundry Supplies/Baskets
    • Mattress Pad/Topper
    • Bed Linens
    • Cleaning supplies
    • Pictures/Posters
    • Shower Caddy & Supplies
    • Shower Towels
    • Surge Protector and UL approved Extension Cords
    • Under-Bed Storage
    • Trashcan
    • Painter’s Tape or Command Strips that won’t damage walls

    BSC also partners with the Birmingham-based company Dorm Decor to provide customizable room decor and furnishings. From-over-the-bed cubbies, monogrammed headboards, bed skirts, bedding, rugs, and more, Dorm Decor has everything a student needs to personalize their new home away from home.

    Things To Leave at Home

    Living in a residence hall will be a unique experience you will remember for the rest of your life. We want to make sure you have the best possible living environment possible, so we ask you leave the following at home:

    • Candles, incense, fireworks or weapons
    • Halogen lamps
    • Pets, except fish in a small tank
    • Masking tape, duck/duct tape, nails, screws, or any other product that may damage paint or wall surfaces
    • No two-pronged extension cords -- only three prong cords are allowed
    • No hotplates, toasters, toaster ovens, or any electrical appliance with an open or exposed heating element
    • Wireless Routers or devices that may interfere with the provided wireless network
    • Self-Made Bed Risers or lofts of any kind
    • Alcohol, drugs, or drug paraphernalia

    Moving Out

    Spring 2017 Move Out

    The residence halls will close for non-graduating seniors on Thursday, May 25 at 4:00pm. All students not participating in commencement must check out of their residential space by this time unless previously approved for break housing.

    The residence halls will close for graduating seniors participating in commencement on Sunday, May 28 at 4:00pm. All students participating in commencement must check out of their residential space by this time.

    Information on proper check out procedures will be emailed to all students at the beginning of May to their BSC email account. It is each resident's responsibility to read and understand the checkout procedures. Failure to follow the proper checkout procedures will result in one or more improper checkout fees.


    Policies and Procedures

    Residency Requirements

    All students are required to live on campus until they are 21 years of age or obtain junior class standing. Those students from a 45-mile radius of the Birmingham area may reside with a parent or legal guardian. Those students seeking an exception to this policy should contact the Director of Residence Life for more information.

    Roommate and Building Assignments

    No residential assignment is made on the basis of race, religion, color, disability, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation and to the extent specified by law, age or veteran status. No specific assignment based on a student's request is guaranteed. Each resident may select a roommate or roommates, as appropriate based during the application process. The College will determine re-assignments or other occupancy changes as necessary. In some cases, a Student may be reassigned to a different residential in the interest of order, health, safety, or welfare of the student, building, or College; written notice will be provided in these situations.

    Vacant Spaces and Consolidation

    To maximize occupancy and efficiency, the College reserves the right to consolidate rooms and move students if a vacant same gender spaces exist elsewhere in the same building in order to create an open room. Consolidation will occur at the beginning of each Fall and Spring term.

    The College may reassign a vacant space in a room or apartment at any time. While efforts are made to notify students of any changes, a new roommate may be assigned without prior notification. If a room or apartment is not entirely occupied and the Office of Residence Life does not anticipate assigning an eligible new roommate, students may be offered an opportunity to pay the privatization rate for the vacant space from the date of vacancy through the remainder of the semester to ensure the space remains vacant. If a student pays the privatization rate for Fall semester and space demand is high for Spring semester, the Office of Residence Life may assign a student to that space for the term.

    Compliance with Birmingham-Southern College Policies and Procedures

    Every student at Birmingham-Southern College must comply with all Federal, State, local, and College laws, rules, and regulations, including those outlined in the Housing Agreement and Student Handbook. Students are expected to know their Rights and Responsibilities as well as the policies and procedures outlined in the Housing Agreement and Student Handbook.  At all times, students must respect the rights and property of all community members in the residence halls, apartment building, and Greek communities, regardless of their background, beliefs, values, or attitudes.

    Each resident agrees to accept responsibility and be held accountable for his or her actions, for proper use and care of the residential facility, assigned space, common areas, and all other College property, and for the action of his or her guest(s). Students should ensure guests comply with all College policies outlined in their Housing Agreement and the Birmingham-Southern College Student Handbook.

    Right to Enter

    The College reserves the right to enter any residential space without a resident's permission or notification to conduct routine maintenance, housekeeping purposes, health and safety inspections, and damage inspections. Health and safety inspections will be conducted periodically each term with notice given at least 24 hours in advance. Authorized College personnel with reasonable belief that a violation of Federal, State, local, and College laws, rules, and regulations have occurred may enter room without notice.


    Student Employment

    The Office of Residence Life seeks talented, outgoing, and hard-working students who appreciate and show a commitment to working to promote inclusion among all students. Students interested in applying to become a Resident Advisor may submit an application each spring semester for the upcoming academic year.