Top Nav Top Nav Footer Nav
Back toTop



Students with a diagnosed disability may be entitled to residential accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Fair Housing Act. These accommodations are designed to ensure students have a healthy and safe living environment that supports their academic endeavors.

Residential Accommodations are recommended for a student based on documentation submitted from a licensed or otherwise properly credentialed professional who has appropriate and comprehensive training, relevant experience, and no personal relationship with the individual being evaluated. Residential accommodation recommendations by the professional may include, but are not limited to a single or private room, private bathroom, a room or apartment on an entry floor, ADA accessible room or apartment, service animal or emotional support animal, or modification to an existing room.

Students are responsible for completing the Residential Accommodations Request Form and submitting the required documentation to receive residential accommodations. If a student identifies as disabled to a member of the Residence Life staff but does not have residential accommodations on file with the Office of Accessibility, that student is not eligible for services under Birmingham-Southern College policy. Birmingham-Southern College is not responsible for providing residential accommodations if a student does not complete the appropriate process to receive accommodations and students will be held responsible for any violations or fines assessed.

Requesting Residential Accommodations

To obtain residential accommodations, students should:

  1. Provide the appropriate documentation from a licensed or otherwise properly credentialed professional who conducted the diagnostic testing. Information regarding documentation requirements can be found in the Documentation Requirements for Academic and Residential Accommodations. Please note that Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 Plan does not provide the necessary information to meet the documentation requirements. However, these plans may be helpful for the Office of Accessibility in providing necessary services.

  2. Complete the Residential Accommodations Request Form and submit a signed copy to the Office of Accessibility. This will be added to any documentation received from the treating professional.

  3. Once documentation and the Residential Accommodations Request Form have been received, the Office of Accessibility will contact the student to discuss reasonable residential accommodations and develop a plan. As each student and situation is unique, the Office of Accessibility is not able to determine residential accommodations until all documentation and request forms have been submitted and reviewed.

  4. Prior to housing selection each spring, students are encouraged to discuss their accommodations and areas on campus that best fit their needs prior to selecting a room or apartment for the following academic year. Failure to do so prior to housing selection may result in limited housing availability.

The Office of Residence Life will be notified of the residential accommodation prior to housing assignments being made for incoming students or prior to housing selection for returning students.