Top Nav Top Nav Footer Nav
Back toTop

Academic Accomodations

Academic Accomodations

Students with a diagnosed disability may be entitled to academic accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). These accommodations are designed to enable students to succeed academically, but do not guarantee success - students are responsible for meeting Birmingham-Southern College’s academic standards and ensuring their academic success.

Academic accommodations are recommended for a student based on documentation submitted from a licensed or otherwise properly credentialed professional who has appropriate and comprehensive training, relevant experience, and no personal relationship with the individual being evaluated. Academic accommodation recommendations by the professional include but are not limited to extended time for testing, extensions on lengthy assignments, peer note taking or lecture notes provided, use of a laptop in class for note taking and/or exams, audio recording of lectures, flexibility in absences allowed beyond the stated policy, or priority seating.

Students are responsible for completing the Academic Accommodations Request Form and submitting the required documentation to receive academic accommodations. If a student identifies as disabled to an instructor but does not have approved academic accommodations on file with the Office of Accessibility, that student is not eligible for services under Birmingham-Southern College policy. Faculty members are not responsible for providing academic accommodations that are not requested through the proper procedure.

Requesting Academic Accommodations

To obtain academic accommodations, students should:

  1. Provide the appropriate documentation from a licensed or otherwise properly credentialed professional who conducted the diagnostic testing. Information regarding documentation requirements can be found in the Documentation Requirements for Academic and Residential Accommodations. 

    Please note that Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 Plan does not provide the necessary information to meet the documentation requirements. However, these plans may be helpful for the Office of Accessibility in providing necessary services.

  2. Complete the Academic Accommodations Request Form and submit a signed copy to the Office of Accessibility. This will be added to any documentation received from the treating professional.

  3. Once documentation and the Academic Accommodations Request Form have been received, the Office of Accessibility will contact the student to discuss reasonable academic accommodations and develop an academic plan. As each student and situation is unique, the Office of Accessibility is not able to determine academic accommodations until all documentation and request forms have been submitted and reviewed.

  4. Prior to the beginning of each term, academic accommodations letters will be provided to the student to distribute to appropriate faculty members. Emails will be set to students and faculty at the beginning of each academic term informing them of the process of picking up and distributing accommodation letters.The student is advised to discuss the accommodations with each professor individually to ensure they are receiving the appropriate accommodations for that course.


A student’s right to privacy is important and all academic accommodations are confidential and will be treated as such.