Ways to Give
Ways to Give
When you make a gift to Birmingham-Southern College, you have the power to determine how the funds will be used. You may designate your gift to a specific area—scholarships, an academic program, faculty support, athletics, facility improvements—or you may direct BSC to allocate funds wherever the opportunity is greatest.
How to Make a Gift
An outright gift puts your contribution to work immediately—funding existing programs or creating a reliable source of future income as part of the college’s endowment. An outright gift may comprise almost any asset of value. You may also make a pledge commitment to be paid over up to five years.
- Cash is the simplest and easiest gift. It can be made via check or credit/debit card, or via wire transfer.
- Appreciated securities, stocks, and bonds also provide considerable tax advantages when transferred to BSC before they are sold. If you have held your securities for more than one year, your gift may provide a twofold tax benefit: an income-tax deduction and elimination of the capital-gains tax due on their sale.
- Real estate—including your personal residences, a second home, income property and vacant land—offer many tax and other benefits. For example, it is possible to give only a portion of the property (an undivided percentage interest) while retaining the rest for other purposes.
- Personal property—including rare books, works of art, collectibles and tangible items of demonstrable value—may enable you to make a significant gift to support BSC with tax benefits to you.
For information about making an outright gift, please contact the Office at Advancement at (205) 226-4909.
Many corporations have giving programs in which they match employee gifts to qualifying organizations. To see if your employer offers a match, click here.
The Forward Ever Fund
The Forward Ever Fund is focused on one area of crucial importance: providing scholarships to deserving students based on academic achievement and/or financial need.
BSC provided almost $29 million in scholarships to students last year, funded by a combination of income from the college's endowment, institutional resources, and gifts from alumni and friends to the Forward Ever Fund.
You may make your gift in any of the following ways:
- Online: Either one-time or recurring payments via credit card at www.bsc.edu/egiving
- Phone: (205)226-4909
- Mail: Check payable to
Forward Ever Fund
900 Arkadelphia Road
Birmingham, AL 35254
A gift through your estate plan can make it possible to have an impact on BSC now and in the future. To learn about deferred or planned gifts, including bequests, life-income plans and other options for your estate—and for information about increasing your income, earning valuable income-tax deductions and reducing your estate taxes—please contact us at (205)226-4909.