News from the Hilltop
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nov. 16, 2012
Birmingham-Southern students acquire international perspective through study abroad
BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Nine Birmingham-Southern College students are studying abroad around the globe this year to enhance their majors and to develop their intercultural skills.
Students understand the value of an international experience and recognize a variety of options that make study abroad affordable like BSC exchange programs offered through the Sklenar Center for International Programs, as well as scholarships provided through the college and programs like the competitive Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.
- Taylor Bain, a junior history major and Harrison Honors Scholar from Panama City, Fla., is studying through a BSC exchange partnership at Kansai Gaidai University in Japan for 2012-13.
- Grace Elliott, a senior business major from Jasper, is studying at the Universidad de Seville in Spain for the fall semester.
- William Hannon, a senior economics major from Mobile, is studying at the Universidad de Seville and pursuing a banking internship in Spain for the fall semester.
- Andrew Lubben, a senior German major from Chattanooga, is studying at the University of Fribourg in Switzerland. He received a BSC International Partnership Scholarship to support his fall semester in Switzerland.
- Missy McIntyre, a junior art major from Memphis, is studying at the University of Glasgow in Scotland for the fall semester.
- Rowan Nailen, a junior biology major from Birmingham, is studying through a BSC exchange partnership at Kansai Gaidai University in Japan. He received a Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship and a BSC seedling grant to support his fall semester in Japan.
- Ashley Parsons, a junior comparative business, culture, and politics major and Harrison Honors Scholar from Mobile, is studying through a BSC exchange partnership at the Université Francois Rabelais in Tours, France, for 2012-13.
- Susan Tuberville, a junior art education major and Harrison Honors Scholar from Germantown, Tenn., is studying at the Florence University of the Arts in Italy. She received a BSC honors travel stipend to support her fall semester in Italy.
- Taylor Williams, a junior international studies major from Albertville, is studying through a BSC exchange partnership at the Université Francois Rabelais in Tours, France, for 2012-13.
An increasing number of Birmingham-Southern students are engaging globally through international internships and study abroad, faculty research, Hess fellowships, Harrison Honors Program projects, independent contracts, international travel-study projects, and service-learning trips.