FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 2, 2003
BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—A completely renovated building on the
Birmingham-Southern campus now devoted entirely to the college's
humanities academic programs was dedicated during Noon ceremonies
Thursday, Oct. 2, and subsequently named after the institution's
longtime president and his wife.
Prior to the dedication
ceremonies, 28-year Birmingham-Southern President Dr. Neal R.
Berte announced at
the fall Board of Trustees
meeting of his plans
to retire in 2004 from the college's top leadership post. Following his
announcement, the board unanimously passed a resolution changing Berte's
title to chancellor and president and then unanimously approved the naming
of the just-renovated Humanities Center on the academic quadrangle as the
Anne and Neal Berte Humanities Center.
A $4.3 million renovation
project begun in June 2002 converted the college's
Phillips Science Building into a center to accommodate the academic needs
of the Division of Humanities. The four-story building now houses
programs of the Classics, English, History, Modern Foreign Languages, Philosophy,
The Berte Humanities Center houses 12 classrooms; three seminar
rooms; 34 faculty offices; writing, speech, and media centers;
and foreign languages and computer
labs, among other areas.
The renovation became possible when the 100,000 square-foot Elton
B. Stephens Science Center opened on campus in June 2002.
The Phillips Science Building, which had
housed the college's science
program since its original construction in 1951, was named in memory of Birmingham
businessman and longtime college supporter M. Paul Phillips, whose contribution
made the facility possible. A portion of the common area of what is now the
Berte Humanities Center will continue to recognize Mr. Phillips.
The general contractor for the renovation project was Brice Building
Company of Birmingham, and the architect was Garrison Barrett Group