Your News Source for the Hilltop
BIRMINGHAM, Ala.-Twenty-three corporate, community, and government
leaders from the Birmingham area are the newest members of Birmingham-Southern
College's Edward Lee Norton Board of Advisors for Management and Professional
Established in 1974 to honor the memory of the
late businessman and Birmingham-Southern alumnus, the board provides "a perpetual forum
for mixing the academic and theoretical wisdom of the college with the
practical advice of the Birmingham business and professional community." Within
the Norton Board are advisory committees for accounting, business administration,
health careers, Hess Center for Leadership and Service, international
programs, learning technology, liberal arts, mentoring, Master of Arts
in Public and Private Management, pre-engineering, and pre-law.
New BSC Norton Board members are:
- Dr. Kenneth B. Botsford, physician, Southview Medical Group P.C.
- William Butler, senior vice president, Compass Bank
- Sandra Mitchell Cleveland, manager, BellSouth
- Dr. David Dyson, president, Dyson Leadership Institute
- Ethel H. Hall, vice president, Alabama State Board of Education
- Marsha Sampson Johnson, vice president, Birmingham division of Alabama
- Afif K. Kanafani, consultant, George S. May International Co.
- Karole F. Lloyd, managing partner, Ernst & Young
- Sid G. McNeal Jr., vice president, EBSCO International; Bobby G.
Neighbors, superintendent, Jefferson County Board of Education
- Jo Beth Newton, superintendent, Homewood Board of Education
- Barbara Prosser Owen, manager, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama
- James M. Proctor II, vice president and general counsel, McWane Inc.
- Dena Sarris, senior vice president, The Bank
- Dr. Kurt Senn, physician, Anesthesiologists Associated, P.C.
- David Silverstein, principal, Bayer Properties Inc.
- Carol Ann Smith, partner, Smith & Ely
- Dr. Clyde T. Stanton, associate professor of chemistry and chair
of theDivision of Science and Mathematics at Birmingham-Southern College;
- Donald B. Sweeney Jr., attorney, Bradley Arant
Rose & White LLP
- Robert W. Tapscott Jr., shareholder of Maynard,
Cooper & Gale
- Floris van Os, international business development consultant
- Stephen A. Yoder, executive vice president, general counsel, and
corporate secretary, AmSouth Bank
- DeLynn Moring Zell, certified financial planner and shareholder,
First Financial Group.
Norton, a 1913 BSC graduate and life member of the college's Board of
Trustees, owned broadcasting companies in Alabama and Florida and was
chairman of the board of Royal Crown Cola, director of the First National
Bank of Birmingham and Avondale Mills, and a member of the Board of Governors
for the Federal Reserve System.