BSC logo

Academic Accommodations

Birmingham-Southern College (BSC) is committed to giving each of its students the resources and support needed for the best opportunity at academic success. In order to provide this opportunity, those of us in Counseling and Health Services (CHS) understand we are expected to meet a wide range of needs, including academic accommodations.

For BSC to meet this commitment, students in need of academic accommodations must submit an assessment by a qualified evaluator to the CHS office. A “qualified evaluator” is a licensed professional with a background in psychiatric, psychological, or neuropsychological assessment. (Examples of this include but are not limited to physician, licensed clinical psychologist, PhD. in neuropsychology, and clinical psychologist.)


The submitted assessment:

  1. should include language explicitly stating the accommodations needed

  2. should have a description of the diagnosis and assessment methodology

  3. must have been documented within three years of submission to the Counseling and Health Services Office.

When CHS has received the necessary documentation from a student, notice of the needed accommodations is sent to the student’s academic advisor and to each of the faculty members on the student’s academic schedule at the beginning of each semester. If additional accommodations are needed at any point in the future, documentation of the assessment from a qualified evaluator (explicitly stating the additional accommodations) must be submitted.

Self Advocacy

The student bears the responsibility of communicating with faculty and advisors 1) which accommodations will be utilized and 2) how the selected accommodations will be utilized. CHS supports and advocates for students in need of accommodations, but strongly encourages students to be self advocates.

Additional Notes

  1. Generally speaking, IEP plans from high school are not considered sufficient to receive accommodations in college. Original documentation from a diagnosing professional or evaluator is normally required.

  2. Getting the accommodations process started with CHS in a timely manner is encouraged. If the documentation is not sufficient for accommodations to be provided, the process of acquiring sufficient documentation could take several days or weeks.

  3. Having a diagnosed disability does not necessarily mean you will qualify for accommodations. Generally services are provided for students with the following disabilities: attention deficit disorders, learning disorders, mobility disorders, psychiatric disorders, sensory disorders, systemic (health-related disorders), traumatic brain injury.

    It is important to note that this list does not exclude other conditions that fall outside its parameters, nor does a condition included within its parameters necessitate that a student will receive accommodations.

CHS is dedicated to both providing for and protecting the privacy of BSC students in need of academic accommodations. Requested accommodations are confidential to CHS, the Provost’s office, and the faculty members who provide such accommodations.

If you have questions about academic accommodations, please contact the Counseling and Health Services office at 205-226-4717 or you may email Jason Peevy, at

The BSC “Request for Academic Accommodation” form must be submitted along with the required documentation.