Page 29 - BSC Student Handbook 2012-2013

A student who is enrolled during any term may
withdraw from the College only with the permission
of the Provost. A student who discontinues studies
without permission of the Provost will receive an “F”
in all courses that term.
In order to obtain permission to withdraw, a stu-
dent should first consult the Office of the Provost
and then complete the withdrawal form and proper
check out If the student must withdraw for medical
reasons, his or her request much be supported by a
physician’s certificate.
Birmingham-Southern College supports the acad-
emic freedom of faculty members in assigning stu-
dents a final grade. If a student believes an error
has been made in the calculation or recording of a
final grade, he or she should immediately alert the
professor. Beyond such errors, formal appeals of
final grades are granted only when there is clear and
convincing evidence that the final grade was "arbi-
trary and capricious, irrational," or "made in bad
faith" [Susan M. V. New York Law School, 556 N.E.
nd 1104, 1107 (1990), 76 N.Y. 2nd 241, 557
N.Y.S. 2nd 297]. Students should understand that
an allegation that a final grade was arbitrary and
capricious, irrational or made in bad faith is a seri-
ous charge and should not be made unadvisedly.
If a student wishes to appeal a final grade, he or
she must contact the professor no later than 30 days
after the beginning of the next regular term. If this
consultation fails to resolve the issue, the student
may contact the appropriate Department Chair, who
will then contact the professor concerned. If the
complaint remains unsettled, the student may file a
written appeal with the Provost on a form provided
by the Office of Academic Affairs. After reviewing
the appeal, the Provost, at his or her discretion, may
deny the appeal or may request that the Faculty
Advisory Committee select a three-person commit-
tee from the full-time faculty of the College. Two
members of this committee must come from the
department involved, and the third will come from
outside the department. The committee will deter-
mine its own procedures and review the case with
the following stipulation: the burden of proof for
demonstrating a breach of standards rests with the
When the review is complete, the committee will
notify the Provost of its decision. The Provost will
have the final decision in determining whether a
change of grade is necessary. The Provost will
inform the student in writing of the decision and
send copies of this same letter to the committee, the
faculty member, and the appropriate Department
The privacy of student records is protected under
the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of
1974 (
Buckley Amendment). The Dean of Records
has the institutional responsibility for interpreting
both the Act and the rules and regulations issued by
the Department of Education to enforce this Act.
Under FERPA, students have the right to see their
educational records at any time, and the right to
request a change if there is an error in any record.
FERPA addresses two types of information: directo-
ry information and non-directory information.
Directory information includes the student’s
name, address, e-mail address, telephone listing,
major field of study, dates of attendance, degrees
and awards received, most recent previous educa-
tional agency or institution attended, participation in
officially recognized activities and sports, and a pho-
tograph. A student’s directory information is usually
provided to anyone who requests it, including per-
sons outside the College. A student may withhold
his or her directory information by notifying the
Dean of Records in writing within ten days of the
first day of classes for a particular term. A request to
withhold directory information remains in effect as
long as the student continues to be enrolled, or until
the student files a written request with the Dean of
Records to discontinue the withholding. Each stu-
dent is responsible for keeping the College informed
of his or her correct mailing address, both school
and home. Any change in address should be updated
by the student through the address change function
on TheSIS. Parent address change information
should be submitted to the Records Office using the
change of address form located on the Records
Office home page.
Non-directory information includes the student’s
academic status and other academic information,
such as the student’s transcript, midterm assess-
ments, course grades, and class attendance. Students
must give permission to allow their academic infor-
mation to be disclosed to any individual. Faculty and
staff with a “need-to-know” (i.e., academic advisors
and administrators), however, have access to this
information without the student’s permission.