Joseph F. Chandler
Joseph F. Chandler
Assistant Professor of Psychology
900 Arkadelphia Rd
Birmingham, AL 35254
Office Phone: (205) 226-4829
Office Fax: (205) 226-4829
Brief Career Background:
- 2009 - 2011: Research Psychologist, Naval Aerospace Medical Research Lab, Pensacola, FL, United States Navy
- 2011 - 2013: Research Psychologist and Principal Investigator, Naval Medical Research Unit - Dayton, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH, United States Navy
- Fall 2013 - Present: Assistant Professor of Psychology, Birmingham-Southern College
- 2003: B.S., Psychology, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Birmingham-Southern College
- 2006: M.A., Cognitive Psychology, University of Alabama
- 2009: Ph.D., Social Psychology, University of Alabama
Areas of Academic Interest:
- Sleep and sleep loss
- Cognitive aging
- Social-cognitive neuroscience
- Philosophy of science
- Mindfulness meditation
I specialize in the behavioral neuroscience of consciousness, including individual differences in sleep and sleep loss, temporal meta-awareness, and social consciousness. Recent projects include cognitive training techniques to increase fatigue resistance, the impact of temporal comparisons on quality of life, and attribution of blame in Hate Crimes cases.
PY 101 Introduction to Psychology (1)
An introduction to the research, theory, and methods of psychological science.
PY 202 Sleep and Dreams (1)
An investigation of the fundamental human need for sleep, including exploration of proposed purposes for dreams. Topics to be considered include how sleep is scientifically defined and measured, what happens when we do not sleep, current theories regarding the need for sleep, common sleep disruptions and disorders, and the structure and utility of dreams. All topics are examined on the individual, group, and societal levels. Prerequisite: PY 101.
PY 204 Statistics for Research
A laboratory course designed to introduce students to experimental research design, statistical theory and techniques, and computer data analysis. Laboratory required.