BSC logo
Exploration Term-Contract Learning

Independent Study Contracts

Sophomores, juniors and seniors who wish to engage in independent study for Exploration Term may do so through an independent study contract. Any student wishing to pursue independent study should formulate a contract, working in close consultation with a faculty sponsor. Once the contract is approved by the project sponsor, the student's advisor and the department chair, the student submits the contract to the Office of Exploration Term and Contract Learning. After contracts are reviewed, the ECL Committee notifies the student of any changes required for the contract to receive approval and be registered. If the contract is not approved, the student should register for an Exploration Term project published in the bulletin. Pineapple Express

Independent study contracts should meet the academic standards of all Exploration Term projects. The student is expected to engage in 150 hours of focused academic activity and to meet the terms of the study contract: follow the project's methodology as stated in the study contract, attend all required meetings with the faculty sponsor and submit the final academic product as indicated in the contract.

Contracts for January 2015 independent study and internships are due to the Office of Exploration Term and Contract Learning (Norton 262) by Friday, October 17, 2014. The study contract form may be found online here. All contracts that include activities off-campus require a release form as well. These may be obtained online. Students engaged in contracts for Exploration Term 2015 will be registered automatically by The Office of Exploration Term and Contract Learning; students pursuing Exploration Term contracts do not register nor do they need to attend an orientation meeting in November. Examples of completed individualized study contracts may be reviewed at the contract website given above.

Note: students who wish to complete internships which fall under the purview of established faculty- directed projects [e.g. Internship in Collaborative Teaching, Pre-Health, or Pre-Engineering] simply register for the project and are not engaged in independent study.

Senior Exploration Term Projects

Many academic disciplines require students to complete a Senior Exploration Term Project in their major. This project is usually carried out in the senior year, but occasionally students are given permission to complete the senior project in their junior year. To fulfill this requirement, a student may either register for an Exploration Term project offered or complete an independent contract.