Teacher Certification at BSC
"Liberating education consists in acts of cognition, not transferrals of information"
Paulo Freire (1921 - 1997)
Eligibility for Teaching Certificate
Currently, to be eligible for a teaching certificate a student must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program and complete an approved Course of Study. Students must successfully complete all program requirements, but must also satisfy the following conditions to be recommended for a teaching certificate:
- Completion of the College's graduation requirements.
- Achieve a minimum 2.50 cumulative grade point average in professional studies and in the teaching field with no grade below “C” in professional studies. A grade of “C-” is not acceptable.
- Demonstrate proficiency in teaching by achieving a grade of “B-” or better in all student teaching internships.
- Complete a Criminal Background Check and fingerprinting processed and cleared by the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- Pass all standardized tests required for certification in your academic discipline as determined by the Alabama State Department of Education.
- All students must take and pass the Basic Skills Assessment Test before they can be admitted to BSC’s Teacher Education Program and meet ALSDE’s first test requirement. Information on the test and registration is available at www.act.org/alabamaectp
- PRAXIS II Test(s) required for certification in the state of Alabama can be found at http://www.ets.org/praxis/al . Click on “tests required in the Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program for their certification area”.
- Collaborative/Elementary Education majors should review test requirements under both “Elementary Education” and “Special Education” Grades K-6
- Visual Art and Music Education majors should review test requirements under the “All Grades”
- All other academic area candidates should review their specific testing requirements under “Secondary Education” and their specific subject area.
The ALSDE has determined that certification candidates must pass both the Basic Skills Test and certain PRAXIS II test(s) to be eligible for teacher certification. Candidates at Birmingham-Southern must also pass a comprehensive exit exam before they can complete BSC's Teacher Education Program.
The type of certification issued to those completing programs at Birmingham-Southern is a Class B-Baccalaureate certificate.
The Teacher Education Program at Birmingham-Southern College is subject to change from the Alabama State Department of Education without notice. Students should consult a faculty advisor or the certification officer concerning current certification requirements. You can email the certification officer at email@example.com or call (205)226-4810.
Certification Only Option
Students with a bachelor's degree in one of the secondary certification grade 6-12 areas (Biology, Chemistry, English, History, Math, Physics, or Spanish) or visual art P-12 that have a minimum 2.5 grade average from BSC or other institutions may explore earning Class B Certification at Birmingham-Southern. After a degree equivalency evalution by faculty and approval by the State Department of Education, appropriate coursework leading to a class B certificate may be pursued. We can only admit students who demonstrate potential for success and meet SDE guidelines as well as Birmingham-Southern's Criteria for Entrance into the Teacher Education Program.
Certification for Enrolled BSC Students
Any student who is seeking teacher certification must meet the criteria for formal admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP). At the end of the student's freshman year or beginning of their sophomore year, students should schedule an appointment with an education faculty advisor to discuss their course of study.