Page 52 - BSC Faculty Handbook

Faculty Endorsed 5/12/03, Board Approved 5/15/03
Faculty Amended/Endorsed 9/20/04, Board Amended/Approved 10/7/04
Faculty Amended/Endorsed 10/17/05, Board Amended/Approved 10/21/05
Faculty Amended/Endorsed 8/24/07, Academic Affairs Committee Amended/Approved 4/10/07
Faculty Amended/Endorsed 5/6/08, Board Amended/Approved 5/9/08
Faculty Amended/Endorsed 4/14/09, 5/5/09; Board Approved 5/8/09
Faculty Amended/Endorsed 12/7/2011; Board Approved 1/27/12
Birmingham-Southern College supports the academic freedom of Faculty members in assigning
students a final grade. If a student believes an error has been made in the calculation or
recording of a final grade, he or she should immediately alert the professor. Beyond such errors,
formal appeals of
grades are granted only when there is
clear and convincing
that the final grade was "arbitrary and capricious, irrational," or "made in bad faith" [Susan M. v.
New York Law School, 556 N.E. 2nd 1104, 1107 (1990), 76 N.Y. 2nd 241, 557 N.Y.S. 2nd
Students should understand that an allegation that a final grade was arbitrary and
capricious, irrational, or made in bad faith is a
charge and should not be made
If a student wishes to appeal a final grade, he or she must contact the professor no later than 30
days after the beginning of the next regular term. If this consultation fails to resolve the issue,
the student may contact the appropriate Department Chair, who will then contact the professor
concerned. If the complaint remains unsettled, the student may file a written appeal with the
Provost on a form provided by the Office of Academic Affairs. After reviewing the appeal, the
Provost, at his or her discretion, may deny the appeal or may request that the Faculty Advisory
Committee select a three-person committee from the full-time Faculty of the College. Two
members of this committee must come from the academic area involved, and the third will come
from outside the academic area. The committee will determine its own procedures and review
the case with the following stipulation: the burden of proof for demonstrating a breach of
standards rests with the student.
When the review is complete, the committee will notify the Provost of its decision. The Provost
will have the final decision in determining whether a change of grade is necessary. The Provost
will inform the student in writing of the decision and send copies of this same letter to the
committee, the Faculty member, and the appropriate Department Chair.
All courses taught at the College with a minimum of five students are evaluated. All faculty
members will use the College's evaluation instrument (distributed by the Provost's Office each
term to Department Secretaries or Office Assistants). Faculty members may choose to use an
additional evaluation tool of their own design. All Faculty report their evaluation methods in the
yearly Faculty activities report.
IV.F.1. Description of the Honor Code
Students at Birmingham-Southern College sign the Honor Pledge saying they will not lie, cheat,
or steal as a member of the Birmingham-Southern College community or tolerate the behavior of
any who do. The Student Government Association supports an honor system for the student body
by electing an Honor Council. A member of the Faculty serves as advisor. Members of the
Faculty are strongly urged to support the efforts of the Honor Council by reporting all suspected